If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A variant of this salad is served on festive occasions in certain parts of Southern India. Known simply as 'kosmalli', it consists of finely diced or grated carrots, cucumber & onions and split yellow mung beans that have been rehydrated by an hour long soak in warm water. Salt, a 'tadka' of hot oil & mustard seeds and a spritz of lime juice round up the seasoning. (oh yes, that mandatory chopped green chili pepper as well!).
Makes 2 cups
- 2/3 cup rehydrated whole mung beans
- 1/2 cup finely diced greenhouse cucumber
- 1/2 cup baby carrots, finely diced
- 1/4 cup scallions thinly sliced (whites only)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated coconut (OR)
- 2 tablespoons diced tender coconut
- 1 small green chilli deseeded & minced
- 1--2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- The easiest way to obtain diced tender coconut: strain a large can of coconut water (goya or other brands) & use the little coconut pieces. Rinse these & pat dry before adding to the salad to remove the residual sweetness.
- Rinse & soak whole mung beans in warm water till they Rehydrate (~ 2 hrs). Drain the water & transfer the plump beans onto a moist paper towel. Cover completely & leave overnight to sprout. The green skin will have split exposing the tiny white shoots. Pick out any 'dead' beans that are hard & discard.
- In a bowl, combine the diced greenhouse cucumber, carrots, white scallions, coconut, cilantro & green chili. toss to combine the individual ingredients.
- Add the mung beans to the salad (making sure that any excess water has been thoroughly drained out!). Add the lime juice, sampling in between to determine your personal preference.
- At this point you may chill the salad if preparing in advance. Adding salt before hand tends to leach the water out of the vegetables, making the salad soggy.
- Add the required amount of salt prior to serving, mix well & serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!