Author Notes: I could probably eat this every day. I have created it in many variations, but this is my favorite.
Traditionally, this dish is done with broccoli rabe and pine nuts. I can rarely find organic broccoli rabe and pine nuts are prohibitively expensive. - ChefShanaRachel
Serves enough for 2-3 people (or if you're me, you'll eat the whole thing)
- 2 bunches kale, leaves removed from stems and ripped into bite size pieces, blanched and shocked. Excess water removed.
- 4-6 whole medium cloves of garlic, blanched.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Enough to create a small pool when pan is tilted.
- 1/4 cup zante currants
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
- Heat saute pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Tilt pan upwards, creating a little pool of oil at the bottom, with that portion over the flame. Oil will start to bubble when hot. Add garlic cloves and cook for 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden.
- When garlic is golden, place pan flat over heat and reduce to medium. Add currants, sunflower seeds, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine.
- When currants plump (about 2 minutes), add kale and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat kale.
- Kale will wilt when done (about 6) minutes. Make sure kale, currants, sunflower seeds and garlic cloves are combined well. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a lemon wedge.