Author Notes: I've had friends in town, which has allowed me to make dinner a few times. I made this soup one night and it was requested again two nights later. The sweet taste of the parsnips against the tart, crisp apple makes this soup a sure fire hit with a smooth and velvety texture.
@ChefShanaRachel - ChefShanaRachel
Serves a crowd
Cream of Parsnip Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 1/4 cup veggie stock
- 1.5 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into equal size chunks
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 2 quarts veggie stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cashew cream (recipe below)
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 granny smith apple, small dice
- 1 bunch parsley, minced
- Place large stock pot over medium heat. When warm, add oil or veggie stock
- When hot, add parsnips, celery and onion. Cook for 6 -10 minutes or until all veggies are soft. Stir often as you do not want any color on the vegetables.
- Add the stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes. Add cashew cream and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender, cover the lid with a towel (the hot soup tends to erupt) and blend on high (or puree). Seas with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls. Place granny smith apples in the center and add a bit of minced parsley.
Cashew Cream (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 8 ounces raw cashews, soaked 6-8 hours
- 1 cup veggie stock or water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- Drain and rinse cashews under cold water. Add to blender. Add stock or water so that a thin layer of cashews is still visible at the top. Add nutritional yeast. Blend on high until creamy.