Author Notes: The other night when we were planning our dinner around Flaming Cheese, I thought we could also flame some loukanika, the orange scented Greek sausage so often flamed in Greek restaurants as an appetizer. Needless to say, as I was shopping for kasseri, feta, tarama, bread and all the veggies, I couldn't find loukanika. I borrowed a few hints from MrsWheelbarrow and made a sausage like, orange scented meatball to flame. - inpatskitchen
Makes 12 two ounce meatball patties
- 3/4 pounds ground pork
- 3/4 pounds ground chuck
- 2 teaspoons crushed fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- zest of one medium orange
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3 ounces inexpensive brandy
- 2 lemon halves
- Thoroughly mix all but the brandy and lemon together thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to cook, with wet hands, shape the meat mixture into 12 meatballs and flatten them slightly.
- Grill the meatballs over a medium flame until cooked through. Have a hot heavy duty saute pan ready to transfer the meatballs to.
- Transfer the meatballs to the hot saute pan. Pour the brandy into the pan and light ( don't forget to yell Opa!).
- Extinguish the flames with a lemon half or two.
- Place the patties in a serving dish, pour any accumulated juices from the pan over them and serve hot.