If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ok, this is Spanish rice, but we're in Texas and it's what is served with TexMex food. I learned from a friend that if you grind the garlic, jalapeno and cumin seed you get a flavor that can't be beat. I got a "molcajete" for Christmas and I have to agree! The molcajete is just a large mortar & pestle so you can grind larger amounts. —nannydeb
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeno or serrano pepper (or more to suite your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup V-8 or tomato juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Grind the garlic, jalapeno and cumin seeds in the molcajete or mortar & pestle. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the celery and onion and cook 3-4 minutes or so. Add the garlic mixture and rice and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Combine the chicken broth and V-8 in a large measuring cup. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken broth mixture to the rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.