If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Although I have enjoyed it countless times as mochi, I have never cooked sweet rice before and this challenge inspired me to try. I was also curious to see what would happen if I used coconut water instead of milk. I made a Thai Basil, Coconut and Lime sorbet last summer using coconut water, and was happily surprised with the results. Here, the resulting dessert is a lighter alternative to a coconut milk pudding, and one that will get sweeter as heady mango season approaches. Toasted chia and black sesame add a lovely nutty contrast. - gingerroot —gingerroot
Food52 Review: If dessert (or even afternoon snack time!) rolls around and you're craving something light, tropical and just barely sweet then this sticky rice should hit the spot. The rice cooks up to have that familiar sticky texture but has only the faintest hint of coconut and sweetness. This really lets the mango pieces shine through as the focus of the dish. The chia seeds add a nice little extra bit of crunch on top of the more traditional black sesame without being obtrusive. - fiveandspice —fiveandspice
- 1 cup sweet (glutinous) rice
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1 cup diced mango
- Toasted chia seeds, for sprinkling
- Black sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Combine rice and scraped seeds from half a vanilla bean in a quart sized Pyrex measure (or large bowl). Add 3 cups of water and soak overnight.
- In the morning, drain water (discard soaked vanilla bean solid), cover container with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine rice and coconut water in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 45-50 minutes.
- Stir in diced mango. Serve rice in bowls, topped with toasted chia seeds and black sesame. Enjoy.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.