Author Notes: This breakfast packs a healthy punch with almonds, quinoa and the warming taste of chai. It also has room to play (I've subbed in lite coconut milk for some of the almond milk...and I think yogurt at the end would also be tasty) and the spices should be adjusted to how much chai you're looking for in the morning.
It keeps well in the fridge and can easily be reheated (add a bit of milk to resoften). - Muckle
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed, if you have the time)
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cardmom pods (or 1/2 t ground)
- 3 - 4 whole cloves (or 1/2 t ground)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- Extra almond milk or some honey to top (optional)
- Combine quinoa and almond milk in a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow quinoa to simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until about half of the liquid has cooked off.
- Stir in wheat germ/flaxseed, almond meal, spices and vanilla. Continue simmering until the quinoa is cooked through and becomes the consistency of oatmeal, about another 10 minutes. If the quinoa reaches the right consistency before it’s fully cooked, add a splash or two of almond milk and cook longer.
- Serve topped with extra almond milk, if it's a bit dry, and honey. Or try fresh fruit, chopped nuts, coconut and/or more spices.
- Enjoy and store the rest for an easy breakfast the rest of the week!