Author Notes: I made corned beef for Charcutepalooza but I wanted to put my own spin on it. I had read a version braised in guinness on allrecipes, but it wasn't where I wanted to go with the recipe. I had my favorite Irish Hard Cider in the fridge and it took off from there! - lighterandlocal
- 2.5 pounds corned beef (already brined brisket)
- .75 cups light brown sugar
- 2, 16- ounces bottles Irish Hard Cider (I used Magners)
- 2 large parsnips, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, heart removed, cut into eights
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Take your corned beef and rub completely with brown sugar so it's coated on all sides. Place in a large dutch oven (big enough to hold brisket and enough room to later add the liquid and vegetables, I used a 5-qt. round one), fat side up. Add your onions over the to of the brisket and then pour your hard cider over the top. Now, if your liquid isn't covering the brisket, add water until there's about an inch of liquid covering the meat.
- Put your lid on that dish and pop it in the oven. I braised mine for 2.5 hours, which was OK, but I found the brisket to still be a bit tough. I'd suggest 3.5 hours of braising time. When you have an hour of cooking left, add your carrots and parsnips. Finally when you have about 20-30 minute left, add your cabbage. In the end, you'll have a sweet, lovely corned beef, full of flavor. Frankly, I loved the veggies done this way as well, they were perfect.