Author Notes: With a delicate crumb, a texture similar to soft shortbread, and a creme brulée-like smattering of burnt sugar that lightly shatters when you bite into it, Bruléed Orange Butter Cookies are sure to be a hit! - HealthyDelicious
Makes 3 dozen
To make the Cookies
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a second bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and zest on medium speed until well blended.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla. Mix until blended.
- Add the flour and mix on until moist clumps form. Wrap in plastic and chill 40 minutes.
- Roll between two sheets of parchment to ¼-inch thick. Cut with 2-inch cutters. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool completely.
For the Icing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/8 cup turbanido sugar (sugar in the raw)
- Combine remaining ingredients (except turbinado sugar) to form a thin glaze.
- Spread each cookie with 1/4 teaspoon of the glaze, then sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Pass a kitchen torch over to melt the sugar.
- Allow icing to cool and completely harden before stacking (about 1 hour).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish You (Intentionally) Set on Fire