When I was at The Vanderbilt, I ordered the hangar steak because it came with horseradish hash browns. I took the flavor idea home with me, flattened them out, and paired them with the bacon vinaigrette from OB Cookie's winning potato soup.
Pick up a hangar steak and fire up your grill, or simply top the hash brown with a fried egg and the bacon vinaigrette. You won't send me hate mail, I promise.
- Amanda Hesser
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish, plus more to taste
- 8 small white potatoes
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Canola oil (or other cooking oil that you like)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Spoon the horseradish into a small, fine-mesh sieve. Using the back of a spoon, press the liquid from the horseradish. Peel the potatoes, and shred them on a box grater. Gather them up, a handful at a time, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible, then set the grated potato in a mixing bowl. Add the horseradish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Cover the base of a large cast iron or non stick skillet with 1/8-inch oil. Warm over medium high heat until the oil shimmers and a potato strand added to the oil sizzles. Cook a pinch of the potato mixture, then taste and adjust seasoning, adding more horseradish and salt, if needed. Add a small handful of potato to the pan and use tongs to spread it into a rough circle, about 1/4-inch thick. Continue with the remaining potatoes, filling the pan without crowding it; save some for a second batch if needed. Cook until chestnut brown on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes, then turn the hash browns, and brown the other side, about 3 minutes. The trick is to brown the outside while allowing the potatoes on the inside cook through.
- Meanwhile, mix the bacon and scallions with the vinegar. As the hash browns finish cooking, transfer them to a baking sheet lined with paper towel and keep warm in a 200 degree oven. Hash browns don't like to be stacked or they get soggy. Serve the hash browns and pass the bacon vinaigrette at the table.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!