If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a variation on the technique Cook's Illustrated uses for making mashed sweet potatoes. I've used half sweet potatoes and half parsnips. To add some dimension I've incorporated freshly grated horseradish root. I've cooked part of the horseradish root with the vegetables to soften it's pungency plus stirred some in after cooking for added pizzazz. I find the combination to be sweet with enough of a bite to add interest, but not clear the sinuses! If you don't find it to be sweet enough, add a small amount of sweetener. Feel free to adjust the pungency to your taste with additional horseradish. - hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: I'm always a fan of recipes that only dirty one dish from start to finish. The parsnips are wonderful with the sweet potatoes. The kick of horseradish adds something special to the dish and a tablespoon of maple syrup made it complete. - biffbourgeois - Stephanie Bourgeois
- 1 & 1/4 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 1 pound parsnips
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 packed tablespoon freshly grated horseradish, divided
- additional salt and horseradish to taste
- sugar, maple syrup, or honey if needed to sweeten
- Peel sweet potatoes and parsnips, and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Combine sweet potato and parsnip slices, cream, butter, salt, and half of the horseradish root in a 3 or 4 quart saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened. This will take about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher to desired texture. Stir in half of remaining horseradish making sure to incorporate well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, additional horseradish, and/or sweetener if needed. Serve hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.