Author Notes: The short green garlic season is here and my garden is popping with it! I partnered the mild, tasty green garlic with the bully, horseradish, and blended they produced a flan that is perfect with thinly sliced roast beef (as shown in the pic) or with smoked salmon. - dymnyno
Makes 6 ramekins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour( or Wondra)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons green garlic bulbs, minced
- 3 tablespoons horseradish, minced(more for very spicy tasting flan)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 egg yolks
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and add flour and mix and add milk to make a bechamel (white sauce). Set aside.
- In another saucepan, add the minced garlic and horseradish to the cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the horseradish cream to the white sauce and simmer for a few minutes and remove from stove to cool a bit. At this point, taste the mixture and add more horseradish to taste.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk together with the mixture.
- Pour into ramekins. Put the ramekins in a large pan and fill with water to reach half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes until set. Cool and sprinkle sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- I composed an arrangement of lettuce, thinly sliced rare roast beef, and drizzled olive oil and sprinkled sea salt and black pepper over the composition. (thinly sliced smoked salmon is also great).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish