If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have always loved Chicken salad. As I became an adult, I liked to experiment with flavors and found that Dijon Mustard and Plum butter is a fantastic combination! - Madeleine
Serves 4 sandwiches
For the Chicken
- 1 2-3 lb whole Chicken
- 1 gallon water
- 2 onions
- 2 Carrots
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 rosemary sprigs
For the Chicken Salad
- 1.5 cups Mayonaise
- 1.5 tablespoons Dijon Mustard (more or less depending on preference)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped italian flat leaf parsley
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- 1/2 cup pecans - chopped
- 1/2 small shallot, finely minced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup Plum Butter
- 1/2 pound Fontina Cheese
- 1 drizzle Olive Oil per slice of bread
- 4 large leaves romaine lettuce
- Poach the chicken. Put chicken in a large stockpot and cover with gallon of room temp or cold water. Add veggies and herbs and boil over medium. Skim the fat and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from water and let cool. Strain liquid and reserve liquid - it's chicken stock! Shred chicken meat and discard both skin and bones.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees....Broiler on low works fine too.
- Toast pecans until fragrant and give them a rough chop if you like.
- Combine mayo, mustard, pecans, shallot, and parsley. salt and pepper to taste. Fold in shredded chicken!
- Lightly paint bread with olive oil and toast until golden in oven. Smear 4 piece generously with plum butter. Take these plum butter smeared pieces and lay a slice (or good pile of finely shredded) of fontina cheese on top and pop back into the oven until cheese is just slightly melted. Top with a generous scoop of chicken salad and one romaine leaf. Cover with other half of bread to complete sandwich!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken with Mustard
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.