If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: OK I pretty much ripped this idea off from Amanda - her cookbook has a recipe for Swedish Ginger Cookies that are made with bacon fat. I therefore felt that it was my moral obligation as a lifetime card carrying member of Team Duck Fat to make mine with ...... you guessed it! A few flavor/ingredient adjustments and here you have it! - aargersi
Serves 3 doz cookies plus 4 more
- 3/4 cup duck fat
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 extra large egg
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- zest from 2 small navel oranges
- Beat the duckfat and sugar together until it is very smooth - 3-4 minutes on med-high speed. Add the egg, honey and orange zest from ONE orange and mix for another minute. Whisk the flour, salt, 5 spice and soda together, then beat them into the batter until it is evenly blended. Put the batter in the fridge to chill at least 30 minutes (I actually made mine the day before and baked it 24 hours later)
- Heat the oven to 350 and line your cookie sheets with parchment. Zest the other orange into the turbinado in a shallow dish (I use a cake pan) Scoop the cookie dough a teaspoon at a time, roll it in a ball, roll that in the sugar and place on the cookie sheet - 12 to a sheet. Press them a bit to slightly flatten.
- Bake the cookies for 13 minutes - keep an eye on them because I have a feeling my oven MAY run cool - they should be golden but not deep brown.
- Cool on a rack, then gobble.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring