If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My husband’s grandmother, Lena, lived to be almost 100. When I met her she lived alone, having outlived two husbands. She was proud of her cooking although she did not cook much. She did make a salad each night, and told me the secret of her delicious salad dressing. She combined 1 Tbsp each: catsup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, and sugar. Everyone who tasted it asked for the recipe, she told me proudly. They were always surprised to hear the simple list of ingredients. I loved it too, and made my own batch many times.
This is an updated version of her recipe, with a few of my favorite ingredients added: crème fraiche and green pepper jelly. I also substituted agave nectar for the white sugar she used. Her salads were quite simple: green lettuce, chopped tomato, and maybe some chopped green onion. I think my version is delicious on a crunchy salad of mixed fresh greens such as romaine, baby spinach, and shredded cabbage. I like adding a little chopped apple and some toasted walnuts. And some thinly sliced sweet red onion. Delicious!
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons your favorite catsup
- 1 tablespoon your favorite mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon a good green pepper or red pepper jelly
- Combnie all ingredients with a whisk or using an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
All Tied Up
The 4 knots you should know
The knots you should know.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
This week's #happylist.
Have a ball (jar).