Author Notes: My husband’s grandmother, Lena, lived to be almost 100. When I met her she lived alone, having outlived two husbands. She was proud of her cooking although she did not cook much. She did make a salad each night, and told me the secret of her delicious salad dressing. She combined 1 Tbsp each: catsup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, and sugar. Everyone who tasted it asked for the recipe, she told me proudly. They were always surprised to hear the simple list of ingredients. I loved it too, and made my own batch many times.
This is an updated version of her recipe, with a few of my favorite ingredients added: crème fraiche and green pepper jelly. I also substituted agave nectar for the white sugar she used. Her salads were quite simple: green lettuce, chopped tomato, and maybe some chopped green onion. I think my version is delicious on a crunchy salad of mixed fresh greens such as romaine, baby spinach, and shredded cabbage. I like adding a little chopped apple and some toasted walnuts. And some thinly sliced sweet red onion. Delicious!
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons your favorite catsup
- 1 tablespoon your favorite mayonaise
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon a good green pepper or red pepper jelly
- Combnie all ingredients with a whisk or using an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish