If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It was our first cold weather Christmas. We ate this carpaccio with friends while decorating our Christmas tree. Outside we had some Tattinger chilling in the snow. The colours were sprightly, the dill was aromatic and the horseradish gave it a strong kick along. We may have created this for Christmas, but have found ourselves pulling it out any time we want an easy starter that can quietly squat in the fridge until it's needed. NB, for this to work, the fish needs to be spanking fresh. —Tori Haschka
- 1 bunch dill
- Half pomegranate (seeded)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish
- 1 pound very fresh skinned and boned firm fleshed white fish, like kingfish or cod
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- A few splashes good quality olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Use a very sharp knife to carve thin slivers of the fish. (This will be easier if the fish is very cold).
- Arrange about six or seven thin sashimi style slices in an overlapping circle around each small dinner plate.
- Cover each plate with a square of baking paper and stack the plates on top of each other.
- Put the stack of fish and baking paper layered plates in the fridge. Weight the top one with a collection of cans or something heavy. Keep the plates in the fridge for at least an hour, or until you are ready to eat.
- Make a horseradish cream by combining the grated horseradish and creme fraiche. Thin it slightly with a splash of water. You want it to be the thickness of pouring cream.
- To serve remove the baking paper from the top of each plate and decorate each plate with sprigs of dill, pomegranate seeds and dribbles of the horseradish cream. Add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of good quality sea salt.
- Enjoy with rye bread and some shockingly yellow organic butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
Have Towel, Will Travel
We give it 8 tentacles up
We give it 8 tentacles up.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Freestyle berry jam.
Octopi my heart.