If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beets and Brussels sprouts are some of my fave veggies. Beets are slightly sweet and are available in a gorgeous rainbow of colours. On top of that, they are so versatile! Brussels sprouts have a nutty flavour when roasted. Bacon makes everything better, especially when paired with the bite of horseradish in a creamy sauce. - gr8chefmb
- 2 pounds beets, [your choice of colors] stems and greens removed
- 6 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil [divided use]
- 2 pounds sweet onions, ends trimmed and peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1 cup sour cream
- coarse ground salt
- coarse ground pepper
- 2 cups orange segments
- 5 cups fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. Wrap each beet completely in aluminum foil and place in oven. Roast for 1-1/2 hours, or just until tender and easily pierced with tip of knife. Remove from oven and open foil; allow beets to cool enough to handle. Remove peel from beets and trim ends. Cut into wedges; toss with one-third of the orange juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Placed pancetta along with 2 tablespoons of oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat; cook pancetta until crispy, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove to paper towel-lined plate. Place onions and Brussels sprouts on cookie sheet and drizzle with pancetta drippings; season generously with coarse salt and fresh ground pepper and toss to coat. Place onions and sprouts in oven about halfway through beet roasting time, and roast onions just until they start to caramelize and get tender, approximately 25-35 minutes. Remove to mixing bowl and toss with one-third of the orange juice and zest.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, orange juice and zest. Add vinegar, mustard, honey, horseradish, shallot, salt and pepper; whisk to combine thoroughly. Add sour cream and whisk to mix. Place half of dressing in bottom of salad bowl; add beets, onions, Brussels sprouts, orange segments and arugula. Gently toss to coat with dressing. Sprinkle with pancetta pieces and toasted walnut pieces. Pass additional dressing when serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish