Author Notes: I have served this soup, both, hot and cold, and I think it works, just as well, either way. It pairs absolutely perfectly with one of my favorite wines, the Brander Sauvignon Blanc, Santa Ynez Valley.
The croutons are a lot of fun and quite good on their own, as an appetizer. - F for Food
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chopped ripe heirloom tomatoes (various colors)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook just until tomatoes are falling apart, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, and remove from heat.
- Let cool slightly. Transfer tomato mixture to a blender. Make sure to really get a good puree. If your blender is not powerful enough you may want to use a food mill to achieve a velvety- smooth texture.
- Return soup to saucepan. Add cream, and adjust consistency with water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
Basil Croutons with Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 baguette
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, or to taste, minced
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°. Slice bread, on a slight diagonal, into 12 slices, about ¼ inch think. Arrange slices on a baking pan, and toast until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from oven, set aside.
- Mix together basil, garlic, and Parmesan in a small bowl. Pour in oil; mix to combine. Add salt and pepper; mix to combine.
- Spoon a small amount of basil mixture onto each crouton, using the back of the spoon to spread slightly. Slice cherry tomatoes in half, and place halves facedown on croutons. Season with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes