If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Heat tames horseradish's bite, but leaves its flavor and just a little bit of heat. I wanted to see if I could use it in a bread, and decided to make a quick bread that would stand up to some good butter or cream cheese for breakfast. I was inspired by Merrill's Mediterranean Olive Bread. This is a little spicier, a little sweeter, and has the surprise crunch of a horseradish-salt crust on the top. —drbabs
Makes 1 8" loaf
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh horseradish, divided
- coarse sea salt for finishing
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 350º F. Oil an 8" loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, allspice and salt. In a large bowl, stir together the eggs, yogurt, oil, honey and lemon zest. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the grated horseradish.
- Add the flour mixture and fold until about three quarters of the dry ingredients are moistened. Add the walnuts and apricots, and fold just until the pieces are distributed and the dry ingredients are just moist. The batter will be stiff.
- Scoop the batter into the pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the reserved horseradish evenly over the top, and then grind coarse sea salt over the horseradish. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and cool completely on a rack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Horseradish
This Week's Best #F52Farmstands
Cheese peppers, grapes, and more
This week's best #F52farmstands.
Get baking this Labor Day.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Storage made crystal clear.