Author Notes: I made that Compote before with pears, orange, grapefruit, and also figs, lemon, and pineapple. Than I thought, since rhubarb is now in season, and I like to experiment with old recipes, I’ll try the combination I am presenting in this recipe.
It came out very good.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup good white vine
- ¼ teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- 1 ½ pounds firm ripe rhubarb stocks
- 1 large orange
- 1 grapefruit
- In a medium-size pan, bring sugar, vine, anise, lemon juice, and salt to a boil Reduce heat to simmer. Peel the rhubarb stocks with a vegetable peeler, quarter each of them.Place in hot syrup, cover, and simmer until barely tender when pierced (about 10 minutes); Cool.With a sharp small knife, peel and section orange and grapefruit, add them to the rhubarb; gently mix. Chill.
- Serve over Pound Cakes, Crepes, or use in Trifles as a fruit layer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soda Fountain Recipe