If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the warmth and scent of freshly roasted whole cumin seeds, especially in 'Orange' coloured things.....everything from pumpkin and sweet potatoes to carrots and oranges (orange curd to be specific!). This puree combines three orange vegetables with some creme fraiche, cumin and chopped fresh parsley. A perfect side to grilled sausages and caramelised onion jus! —Kitchen Butterfly
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- 400g Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 200g Carrots, cleaned and chopped into small chunks
- 200g Pumpkin flesh, scooped out/chopped
- 1 medium-large clove of peeled garlic, whole
- 300ml Water
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds, dry roasted and crushed
- 2 tablespoons Creme Fraiche / Greek Yoghurt
- Salt , to taste
- Optional - Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- To garnish - 3 - 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat butter in a pan and when melted, add all the vegetables. Stir and toss about for about 5 minutes...to enhance the sweetness of the vegetables
- Then add the water and garlic, put a lid on the pan and let simmer on low-medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft
- While the vegetables are simmering, heat a frying pan and toss in the cumin seeds. Shake/stir seeds in pan till they become fragrant and brown a bit, about 1-2 minutes. Once they are roasted, take them off the heat and crush in a mortar or with the back of a tablespoon (somewhat harder though than using the mortar and pestle!)
- When vegetables are done, mash the veggies by passing through a 'Potato ricer' for a smooth puree. For a 'chunky' puree, use a hand-held masher. Don't process in a blender or food processor or you'll end up with glue
- Stir in Creme Fraiche/Greek Yoghurt and crushed cumin to the puree and taste. Salt if necessary. Sprinkle a little black pepper if desired
- Serve immediately with loads of chopped fresh parsley...delicious!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Carrot Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Vegetable Puree
The science of soggy cereal, vegetables in space, and more
This weekend's reading.
Out of the park toppings.
It's time to travel.
Life's a beach.
Put cake on a pedestal.