If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My friend Erin and I were inspired by a squash ravioli dish at a restaurant and set out to create our own version. This is our second edition and we think we've created a masterpiece. The reduction is sweet and with the saltiness of the pecans and the mascarpone makes the butternut squash flavor come through without overpowering it. This recipe takes some work but is a delight to eat. -Jessie - jzirinsky
- Wonton wrappers
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 3 medium onions
- 4T Olive Oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese:
- ground sage
- 3 cups Apple Cider
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 ounces good bourbon (I used Jefferson Bourbon)
- 1 cup crushed pecans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Peel, deseed, cut squash into chunks. Roast squash at 400 degrees until soft, 45mins to 1 hour.
- While squash is cooking, make the onions, cranberries, cheese, and apple cider reduction. (see below)
- Soak cranberries in bourbon for 45 mins. Strain the cranberries, saving the bourbon to drink, if you like.
- Thinly slice onions. Heat skillet over medium heat with 2T Olive oil. Add onions and cook until soft, stirring frequently, adding sugar if necessary until onions are golden brown. About 25 mins.
- Mix 1 c Mascarpone Cheese in medium bowl with salt, pepper, and ground sage until a sage-green color. Refridgerate.
- Mix apple cider, cider vinegar, maple syrup, cinnamon stick and nutmeg in a small saucepan and boil, stirring frequently until sauce is reduced by half.
- Remove from squash from oven to cool. Transfer to a small saucepan and mash over medium heat. Stir frequently to remove all the water from the squash and add in parmesan cheese. Stir until incorporated. Let cool.
- Fill wonton wrappers by adding a small dollop of squash to the middle of the wrapper. Fold into a triangle, wetting the edges with water to seal. Bring a pot of salted water to boil.
- Heat pecans with 1T butter until browned and hot. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 2T olive oil.
- Add ravioli to boiling water and boil for 2-3 minutes, until blanched. Immediately remove ravioli from water with a slotted spoon and dry quickly on a paper towel. Add ravioli to the skillet and fry for 2 mins each side, until browned in some spots.
- Put ravioli on a plate. Top with caramelized onions, pecans, cranberries, dollop of mascarpone cheese. Spoon apple cider reduction over ravioli. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dumplings