If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An ultimate burger composed of sausagey, mushroomy goodness. —erinmcdowell
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, or more as needed
- salt and fresh ground pepper, as needed
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, cut into tiny cubes
- oil or nonstick spray, as needed to cook the burgers
- 4 buns, toasted
- 1/2 cup pickled peppadew peppers, diced
- Garlic Aioli (I like to use Amanda's from this recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes/5103_tortilla_with_chive_and_garlic_aioli )
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, ketchup, mustard, egg, and bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the mushrooms, basil, rosemary, and cheese.
- Form the sausage mixture into balls. Make a hole in the center, and stuff with mushroom-mozzarella mixture. Form the sausage into patties.
- Cook the burgers in a saute pan or on the grill - either way add a little oil/spray to the pan to keep them from sticking. Add the patties and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. If you’ve made thick patties, it’s best to cook them for 4-5 minutes per side, then finish them in a 375 degree oven until they are cooked through, 5-7 minutes more.
- Serve the burgers on toasted buns slathered with garlic aioli and topped with the peppadew slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Stone Cold—er, Hot
Desserts that make the case for peaches, apricots, and plums
Stone (fruit) cold desserts.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).