- 1 bunch asparagus, stalks cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, very thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Soft Shell Crabs
- 2 soft shell crabs
- salt and pepper, as needed
- flour, as needed for dredging
- oil, as needed for pan-frying
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes. If desired, shock in an ice bath to stop cooking and retain an especially green color. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the shallots and leeks until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add the asparagus and toss to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season the crab with salt and pepper. Dredge the crab in the flour to coat.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat, and add the crab. Cook until the crab is bright red and crisp, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve over the mushroom and asparagus saute.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms