If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every year my mother and I buy morels at one of our local farms (that specializes in asparagus). We've tried them a dozen different ways, but this is absolutely the best. A few years ago, my parents moved...and now they've begun finding morels somewhere in their backyard (but they're not sharing)! - apartmentcooker - erinmcdowell
Food52 Review: I was lucky enough to find morels in my yard right after seven days of rain so I had to try this! At first, it looked like the flour and butter were just going to make a paste, but eventually they coated the mushrooms pretty evenly. I really enjoyed the peppery spice mixture on the large, meaty pieces of morel. My mushrooms were very moist and did not get as crispy as I would like before the butter started to brown, but I liked the flavor. For simply done mushrooms that come together in a flash, these are worth trying. Especially if you don't intend to share (Note: the recipe is for 1-2 servings)! - sara k. - sarah k.
- 1/2 pound morel mushrooms
- 2 cups flour, or more as needed for dredging
- 1 tablespoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 stick of butter, or as needed for frying
- Soak the morels in salted cold water for a few minutes (best way to remove tiny bugs and other debris - our morels are usually pretty dirty when we get them...so this is a must). Drain well.
- If the morels are large, slice them in half lengthwise. Otherwise, leave them whole for bite-size morsels of buttery-fried goodness.
- Season the flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. This is really to taste - and of course other seasonings would probably be tasty (but keep it simple).
- Dredge the mushrooms completely in the flour. Set aside.
- Heat a good amount of butter in a heavy skillet. When it's good and hot, add the mushrooms and pan-fry until the morels are golden brown and crispy. Add more salt, to taste and devour.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.