If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Shortcuts are often wrong cuts, and not a route you want to take with wild mushrooms.....
Anyway, this soup uses a mix of French wild mushrooms - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes enough to drive winter's chill
- 300g wild mushrooms or shiitake/chestnut mushrooms
- 1 clove of (smoked) garlic
- 2 teaspoons butter (1 teaspoon for roasting mushrooms, 1 teaspoon for making sauce)
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon plain flour
- 500ml (your finest) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 75g young hard cheese, grated e.g gouda, mild chedda, edam, manchego
- 100ml creme fraiche
- Piment d'Espelette, to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Brush mushrooms to clean and place on greased roasting tin. Pop in a whole clove of smoked garlic and dot mushrooms with 1 teaspoon of butter. Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until just roasted at 180 degrees centigrade - don't bother preheating the oven! Remove from oven when ready and set a few roasted mushrooms aside for garnishing
- Heat the other teaspoon of butter in a large saucepan and add the chopped shallots. Saute gently and then add roasted mushrooms, stirring till the shallots are soft and golden.
- Sprinkle on flour, mix well and continue cooking. Stir well and let flour ‘cook’ so it loses its ‘floury/pasty’ taste.
- Add the stock and lemon thyme in and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes, then add the piment d'espelette
- Add cheese and creme fraiche and cook for another 2 minutes until the cheese is melted and the soup is thickened.
- Whizz in a food-processor or blender till smooth. Adjust salt if necessary and top with roasted mushroom garnish to serve
- Combine leftovers with pasta to make a bake or use as a sauce on rice, with soft-boiled eggs.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.