If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My best friend invited me over for an all vegan dinner party, and I wanted to make something that I had never made before. I decided I'd try a wild mushroom paté. I looked up so many different recipes, but in the end made the recipe up my own way since a lot of what I looked at involved blocks of cream cheese or heavy cream. To give the pate firmness I added firm tofu and walnuts, and to give it depth of flavor I added truffle oil and aged balsamic. It turned out to be delicious! - dixonkitchen
- 7 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white truffle oil
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, removed from stems
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 package of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- juice from half a lemon
- Heat olive oil in large pan to medium high heat. Add onions, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly browned but not burned or pate will be bitter
- While onions are browning, chop mushrooms making sure to remove the stems of the shiitake and gills of the portabellos. Add mushrooms and thyme to pan and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and stir. Set aside.
- in a food processor pulse walnuts until finely ground. Add tofu, mushroom mixture and lemon juice. Puree until it becomes a smooth consistency.
- Taste for salt and adjust seasoning at this point. Drizzle in truffle oil and puree again until incorporated. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl and chill for 4-5 hours. Serve on toast points or water crackers with a drizzle of aged balsamic.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.