If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was in law school, I hostessed at a restaurant where the chef was big into combining mushrooms and hazelnuts. Looking at and smelling the combination almost every day got me hooked on using the two together. The spread also makes a nice crostini with a little bit of sauerkraut on top. —VanessaS
Makes about 2 cups
- 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 ounce dried oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stems cut off
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon hacho miso
- 6 sun dried tomato halves, not oil packed
- Put the oyster mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the portobellos in half and remove the gills. Slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a medium bowl, mix tamari, oil, percorino, lemon juice, rosemary and miso. Add portobellos and set aside to marinate.
- Place hazelnuts in a dry skillet over high heat. Toss every now and then for about 5 minutes, until fragrant. Put the hazelnuts on a clean dishcloth, fold the dishcloth over onto the hazelnuts, and give them a sturdy rub to dislodge the skins. Set aside.
- Gently remove the mushrooms from the hot water and place in a small saucepan. Add sun dried tomatoes and pour in mushroom soaking liquid to cover, stopping before you get to the grit at the bottom. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the hazelnuts in a food processor and grind to a fine paste. Remove the mushrooms and tomatoes from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and add to the food processor, along with the portobellos and their liquid. Puree to a coarse paste. Transfer to a serving dish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Butter is better, Jacques Pépin, and more
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
This month's most pinned recipes.
Savor the season.