If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My cousin Miriam and her husband traveled in the summer of 2007 on a barge from Paris France to Provence.
In the end of the trip the chef gave all of the ladies a few pages of his recipes’.
Knowing that I love to cook, Miriam gave them to me, and since I have a habit to change traditional recipe to my own, I made over just a cheese soufflé to a mushroom cheese one.
- 1/2 pound fresh, mushrooms (I use Shitake)
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 large clove of garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1 cup grated Gruyere (or cheese of you’re choice)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- 6 egg yolks
- 7 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dry Herb’ De Provence seasoning
- A pinch of freshly grated Nutmeg
- Directions:Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large skillet melt butter, sauté shallot, and very fine chopped mushrooms until lightly browned.Add salt and pepper to taste, Herb De Provence (Crushed in your palms to release the fragrant oils of the herbs).Add the pinch of Nutmeg, and garlic, slowly sauté for another few minutes constantly stirring (don’t burn the garlic).Mix in the flour, cook for 2-3 minutes, slowly whisk in the hot milk.
- Take of the mushroom Béchamel of the stove, and mix in the cheese.Cool for a few minutes and carefully steer in egg yolks.Put the egg whites in a clean bowl, add a pinch of salt, and beat until medium peaks form.Fold in to the Béchamel, mushroom mixture.Grease a large Soufflé dish with butter, and sprinkle the bottom and the sides with Parmesan.Pour the Soufflé batter into the dish.
- Put the dish in a roasting pan, and pour boiling water halfway up the sides of the Soufflé dish.Bake on the lower rack of the oven for 30 minutes.When taking out the Soufflé, you may like to sprinkle the top with black sesame seeds for contrast. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
A chef's kids' lunch.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Recipe of the Day
Storage made crystal clear.