If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Who needs oysters when you have oyster mushrooms? This recipe is for baking the mushrooms, but I've also fried them and they are just as good or better that way. If you prefer to fry them, just heat an inch or two of oil and drop them in, removing them to drain on a paper towel when they are browned. I had ancho chile powder in my spice cabinet so I used that in the cornmeal crust and added salt, but if you have a chile powder with salt already in it you can just omit the additional salt. - clintonhillbilly
Makes 2 large or 4 small
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons chile powder (without salt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or aioli
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish with or without beets
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 2 french rolls
- bread and butter pickles
- sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Break eggs into a bowl and beat them well.
- Mix together cornmeal, chile powder and salt and pour onto a plate.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, Cover a cookie sheet well with oil.
- Mix together mayonnaise or aioli, horseradish, mustard, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, celery and scallions in a separate bowl.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Dip each mushroom in egg, then press into cornmeal on each side and place on baking sheet.
- Spray the tops of each mushroom with oil -- if you don't have a spray bottle, just dab a little bit of oil on the top of each mushroom.
- Bake mushrooms until they are browned and crisped on the top.
- Split open rolls and toast them in the oven. Remove and slather with sauce, fill with mushrooms, and add sliced tomatoes, pickles, and shredded lettuce as desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Street Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
The Underrated Pantry Hero
A love you never knew you had for Cracklin' Oat Bran.
Cereal = Dessert
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Recipe of the Day
The Daily Grind
A Shoo-In Salad