If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The original classic grilled cheese sandwich just went south of the border and it has rolled in on a bolillo. All the flavors I love bundled into a buttered roll and held together by warm quesadilla cheese. ¡Ajúa! Butter up your bolillos and get ready to awaken your taste buds.
You might want to double the recipe and make more than two or you’ll be sorry.
Makes 2 tortas
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 roasted Anaheim or California long green chiles, roasted, seeded and sliced ½” strips
- 1/2 ounce tequila (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded Queso Quesadilla, divided
- 2 bolillo rolls or French rolls
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter with olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes or until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sour cream and chile strips and cook until warm. Completely remove pan from heat. Carefully add tequila. Return to heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute or until most of the tequila has dissipated.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the cheese until melted. Set mixture aside.
- Preheat a grill pan or panini press.
- Split rolls in half and arrange them on a work surface and coat both the inside and the outside of each roll with the remaining butter. Brown the inside of each roll first, layer two slices with the warm mixture, top with remaining shredded cheese and add the other roll half. Grill the sandwiches over moderate heat, turning once until the bread is lightly toasted and the cheese has melted, 5 to 6 minutes.
- If using a panini press, close the lid and press down slightly using even pressure. Most sandwiches cook perfectly on a panini press in 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado slices, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Our Latest #f52contest
Show us your back-pocket baked goods
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Za'atar: the spice with zip.
Have a ball (jar).