If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my family we like to prepare mostly everything ourselves, because in the cooking process we are able to taste and adjust the sweetness, saltiness or seasonings to our taste. We also always try to use the best and freshest ingredients.
Here is my recipe for a condiment, and two dips that include this condiment.
Makes 3 mideum jars
ingredients for the condiment
- • 2 ½ pounds fresh small (White Button, Crimini or Trumpet) mushrooms
- • 2 pounds (Sweet Cherry Peppers or Red Bell Peppers)
- • 1¼ cups sunflower or canola oil
- • 2 ½ cups Red Wine vinegar
- • 2 cups water
- • ½ cup granulated sugar
- • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- • ½ cup honey
- • 6 bay leaves
- • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- • ½ tablespoon dry “Pickling” spice ready to use or a combination of (All Spice, Coriander, Dry Dill Seed, and red Chile flakes)
- • 10 cloves of garlic (slightly crushed)
- In a large saucepan mix oil, vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and honey. Add all the spices (tide in a cheese cloth), and garlic; bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes; cover the sauce pan with a lid, sat aside. Let the marinade concentrate. Discard the cheese cloth bundle with spices, but leave the garlic.
- Meanwhile wash the mushrooms and bell peppers. Cut the bell peppers in quarters, cut out the seeds and the white membranes; then cut in strips. Take of stems of the mushrooms and dry them in a kitchen towel, if needed cut in half.
- Put the mushrooms and peppers strips into the marinade, and simmer for another 10 minutes. Transfer to jars. When cooled, keep refrigerated. Use as a condiment or in dips.
Eggplant and Humus Dips.
- 2 eggplants
- 1 full cup of the marinated Mushroom and Bell Peppers
- 1/3 cup oil of your choice
- 1 large fresh garlic clove (cut in pieces),
- 1 small diced Jalapeno or Serrano pepper (I cut out the seeds).
- Salt and freshly grinded black pepper to taste.
- Eggplant Dip: Grill or broil 2 eggplants, slightly cool, peel of the skin, and drain under a press for about 2 hours. Take 1 full cup of the marinated Mushroom and Bell Peppers mixture and drain in a strainer. Transfer everything to a food processor. Add 1/3 cup oil of your choice, 1 large fresh garlic clove (cut in pieces), and 1 small diced Jalapeno or Serrano pepper (I cut out the seeds). Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Pulls a few times for a chunkier dip or process for a smoother consistency.
- Humus dip: Rinse a few times, and drain 1can of Garbanzo beans. Take 1 full cup of the marinated Mushroom and Bell Peppers mixture and also drain in a strainer. Transfer everything to a food processor. Add 2 cloves of fresh garlic (cut in pieces), 2 tablespoons of Tahini paste, 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Process until smooth.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).