If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When you feel like a lama, eat like a monk. - bugbitten
Serves 4 as a first course
- four tablespoons Irish butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced into spoon-sized pieces
- one half pound assorted mushrooms, slivered
- six cups your best beef broth
- one teaspoon soy sauce
- one half teaspoon fish sauce
- a splash of toasted sesame oil
- six sprigs of fresh thyme
- Melt half of the butter in your soup pot. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, stirring often for ten minutes or less until they are soft and on the verge of browning. Toss in the rest of the butter and all of the mushrooms. Cook another ten minutes or so. There will be a little fond in your pot.
- Add your beef stock, the three asian ingredients, and the thyme.
- Simmer for about one hour. Remove the now naked thyme stems and serve dressed with chives, green scallions or a glimpse of whatever is up your sleeve. First courses are all about seduction.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.