If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For years one of my solid go to recipes has been Anne Wilan's Twice Baked Spinach Souffle's...impressive looking, easy to make ahead of time and simply delicious!
So, this is my version using mushrooms and other ingredients of my own design. You can use any kind of mushrooms. It's up to what you can find at your farmers' market, grocery or forage. Be sure to beat the egg whites until light and fluffy...the not so secret to great soufflés. - dymnyno
- 1 pound mushrooms, small dice (I used Crimini)
- 4 ounces butter (8 tablespoons)
- 2 cups onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese grated, plus more for sprinkling on tops of souffle's
- Roast the mushrooms in a 300 degree oven until slightly dried and a lot of their moisture has sweated out. (about 20 minutes)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute' the onions until translucent. Add the parsley to the onions and saute' for a few minutes. Mix in the mushrooms (after you drain the liquid from the roasting pan). Remove from flame.
- Make a white sauce: Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a medium saucepan and when it starts to foam, add the flour and whisk until mixed.
- Add the milk and keep whisking until the sauce thickens. Remove from the flame.
- Add 1 cup of the white sauce to the mushroom mixture and blend together.
- Stir the egg yolks into the mushroom mixture slowly to prevent them from cooking.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and then slowly fold them into the mushroom mixture.
- Pour into eight 8 ounce ramekins that have been buttered. Put the ramekins in a large pan to fit, and fill to half way up the sides of the ramekins with hot water.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops start to brown and the souffle's are set.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly and remove from the ramekins. (I use a little rubber spatula to flip them cleanly out of the ramekins).
- Reheat the remaining white sauce, add 1 cup of cream and 1 cup of grated Gruyere cheese and whisk until blended.
- Put the souffle's in a large casserole dish and pour the white sauce over them. Sprinkle extra cheese over each little souffle' and bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and the sauce is puffing away.
- Serve with a sprinkle of minced parsley.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
This burger's all that and a bag of barbecue-flavored chips.
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.