Author Notes: Portabello mushrooms are the best ones for Stroganoff because of their meatiness. About the addition of coffee, a read in a recipe for a French Onion Soup.
I will defiantly cook this dish for Passover.
- • 8 large Portobello mushrooms
- • 3 tablespoons olive oil
- • 2 tablespoons butter
- • 2 white onions
- • 2 cloves garlic
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- • ½ cup medium- dry Sherry vine
- • ½ cup beef stock
- • ¼ cup strong black coffee
- • 1 teaspoons tomato paste
- • 1 cup sour cream
- • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1. With a pastry brash clean the mushrooms, take of the stems.2. Cut mushrooms into strips about ¼ of an inch wide.3. Heat a large sautéing pan on medium- high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1tablespoon butter, add mushrooms in portions to really well brown them. 4. Transfer the browned mushrooms to a bowl.5. Add to the pan the remaining oil and butter; thinly sliced onions, salt and pepper, and the bay leaf.6. Sautee the onions on medium heat stirring, for 20 minutes until they are a rich golden- brown color.7. Add the flour and stir until fully incorporated; then stir in tomato paste.8. Deglaze the pan with Sherry, add back the browned mushrooms and sprinkle in thyme.9. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, then add beef stock and coffee; continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and thickened. 10. Add sour cream, gently mix all the ingredients. Turn of the heat as soon as it starts bubbling.
- 11. If you make this dish in advance, then don’t mix in sour cream until almost ready to serve.12. You can cook it early in the day;then 1 hour before serving, preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and if you have 6 ovenproof small clay pots, evenly divide the Portobello- Stroganoff mixture between the pots; then add sour cream to each of them. 13. Put the pots on a baking sheet, and bake covered, for about 20 to 30 minutes (if the clay pots do not have lids, cover them with Puff Pastry or one large piece of foil over all of them).14. Serve with matchsticks size cut fried potatoes, sprinkled with some salt, freshly ground black pepper, and fresh herbs of your choice. Some times when I like to “show of: I would make small individually cooked potato Galette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms