If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The zinginess of the mustard and lemon go perfectly with the sweet pears and both complement the chicken perfectly. The secret is to get a pear that's just reached ripeness -- one that's soft to the touch, but not too soft. The variety doesn't really matter, but I'm partial to comice, myself. —vrunka
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 lemons, juiced (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe but firm pears, sliced about 1/4" thick
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, dried thyme and sugar until sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper over the chicken thighs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add the chicken thighs, browning about 2 minutes each side. Set chicken thighs aside in a separate dish.
- In the same skillet, reduce heat to medium and melt the butter. Add the onion slices and coat well with butter. Let the onions cook until soft and golden, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Toss the pear slices in the skillet with the onions. Add the chicken back to the skillet and cover the pieces with the onions and pears.
- Add the lemon mustard sauce and chicken broth and allow the sauce to come to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add more salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve with a sprig of fresh thyme for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken with Mustard
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.