If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been having fun creating quiche crusts out of various vegetables. When I read about Food52's mushroom recipe contest I knew I had to give mushrooms a chance to strut their beauty and flavor. This recipe is so flavorful fresh and fun ~ I hope you give it a try! - Merry
- 3-4 slices day old sourdough bread to make 2 1/2 cups crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped Cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese from canister
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 slice prosciutto, chopped or 2-teaspoons crumbled crisp bacon
- 1 cup chopped Cremini mushrooms and 1-2 large (2-inch) Cremini mushrooms sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan, if desired, to garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a food processor, or by hand, finely mince bread to measure 2 1/2-cups crumbs resembling Panko crumbs. Add mushrooms, lemon pepper, and Parmesan; pulse 5 times, or stir to combine. Add olive oil and pulse 5 times or stir until evenly mixed. Coat 6 muffin cups with cooking spray. Press 1/3-cup crumbs over bottom and up sides of each cup. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and fill with filling.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add chopped garlic, chopped prosciutto, and mushrooms to one side of pan and sliced mushrooms to the opposite side, do not mix. Sprinkle both sides of mushrooms with Italian seasoning, stir and cook, continue to keep mushrooms separate. Cook mushrooms for 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer chopped mushroom mixture to medium bowl and stir in eggs, ricotta, and Italian cheese until well blended. Reserve sliced cooked mushrooms in pan.
- Pour egg mixture into baked sourdough-mushroom cups, top each cup with a slice of mushroom. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until set. Cool 3 minutes. Run a knife along the inside edge of the muffin cups, gently remove quiches with a large spoon. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve. Yields: 6 mini muffin size quiches.
- Variations: *For vegetarian quiches simply omit the prosciutto. *The lemon pepper used in this recipe contained lemon peel, black pepper, salt, sugar, garlic, onion, and thyme; adjust seasoning if desired. *The Italian seasoning contained marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savory, sage, oregano, and bail; adjust seasoning if desired *Substitute 1-tablespoon fresh herbs in the filling for the dried seasoning when possible.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.