If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is from a blog post I wrote three years ago. It is hard for me to believe it has been that long, and that I still use this recipe even though I made it up on a whim to satisfy a serious mushroom craving.
To quote the post: "...the mushrooms give the salad a richness and depth (like cheese!) to counterbalance the cool neutrality of the yogurt and cucumbers."
It amused me to look back and see how I used the recipe as an opportunity to get sentimental about mushrooms, which are grown commercially in Kennet's Square, Pennsylvania--the self-proclaimed "mushroom capital of the world"-- not far from where I grew up.
This recipe calls for the standard, everyday white mushrooms you can find at any grocery store in America. Chances are, if you buy a package of them anywhere in the Northeast, they come from Kennett's Square.
I love to eat mushrooms raw. They have a fresh, earthy flavor and a satisfying crunch that is too-seldom enjoyed. - Anitalectric
Serves 4, as a side
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 8 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 individual-sized yogurt (sub non-dairy to make it vegan)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced & chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomato
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss.
- Serve immediately for nice, crisp mushrooms that you can really sink your teeth into.
- Alternatively, refrigerate and allow the mushrooms to marinate. They will get soft, and develop a rich "cheesy" flavor. I recommend you have one serving right away, and then another later, so you can enjoy both ways.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushrooms
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.