If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This style of Kamja Salad, which uses a mayonnaise-based sauce, is not native to Korea at all. This style of potato salad originated in Northern Germany and was brought to the United States by German immigrants. Since most Americans are of German ancestry, (at least according to the US Census) this style of potato salad is quite common throughout the USA.
So far as I can tell, Koreans did not eat this style of potato salad prior to the Korean War. I believe it’s one of Koreas first “fusion” recipes before the idea “fusion cooking” became fashionable. It is a Korean adaptation of one of America’s most popular side dishes. - Tamar
- 5 Russet potatoes
- 1 Gala Apple (finely diced)
- 1 Korean Pear (finely diced)
- 1 stalk celery (finely diced)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, optional garnish
- 2 cups Kewpie mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Wash the potatoes then peel and rinse in cold water.
- Cut into about 1 inch by 1 inch cubes (2.5 cm squared) and rinse again.
- Bring a large pot of water to a full boil, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cubed potatoes
- Boil until semi tender (Korean chop stick or fork passes through with slight resistance). This will take 8-15 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, clean the apples and Korean pear, then cut into about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces (1.25 cm squared) and add to bowl. Toss until well mixed.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, pepper and sugar (optional) then mix well.
- Add dressing to potato mix and stir until well mixed. If desired garnish with toasted sesame seed.
- Chill and serve cold or at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
These beach eats can't be beat.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Get out of the frame.
Chocolate has a meltdown.
These are nuts to travel with.