Author Notes: Thanks to Shaker Lemon Pie and Lazy Mary Lemon Tart for this lemon curd experiment which makes a very bright and rustic lemon curd. The KY Shaker pie uses whole lemons sliced thinly, sugar and eggs, similar to the Lazy Mary but without any butter. And of course they're both baked, while the curd is cooked stove top in a double boiler. - Louisa
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 Lemons
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- Cut lemons into about 6-8 pieces and throw into blender.
- Whizz until pulverized.
- Add sugar to lemons and whizz away.
- Add eggs and whizz till blended and mixture is smooth.
- Cook in a double boiler over water stirring constantly until mixture thickens, but don't let it boil. I use a silicone spatula.
- Remove from heat, add butter and stir. Cover and chill, or chill and cover.