If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Is there anything better than homemade ice cream? I only value my morning espresso more mostly because I can have it everyday. This recipe is for cappuccino ice cream - a simple combination that hits the senses on many levels. The recipe does not take the usual route of first baking a custard. Instead, you combine whipped cream with flavored eggs and sugar. Here, we flavor the mix with espresso and a bit of vanilla. It is served with shavings of dark chocolate. For the adults, add a splash of Kahlua.
I cannot fail to mention that this is an adaptation of a recipe by three extraordinary cooks from Longview, Texas.
It would take up too much room for me to explain their vast accomplishments as homecooks, chefs, and restauranteurs and even more room for me to explain how I know them. By then, you would know the whole town. Suffice it to say that there is a good story there. - Waverly
Makes 1 quart
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 12 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons powdered instant espresso
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small block of high quality dark chocolate, shaved
- Kahlua, to taste
- MAKE SWEET WHIPPED CREAM: In a large bowl, beat cream until smooth. Gradually add 6 tablespoons of the sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- IN ANOTHER BOWL, MIX THE REST: In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks with remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar until light in color. Add espresso, vanilla, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. Beat until combined.
- COMBINE AND FREEZE: Fold whipped cream into the egg mixture. Spoon mixture into an ice cream maker. Freeze according to the manufacturers' directions and then place in freezer until frozen.
- SERVE: Serve scoops of ice cream with dark chocolate shavings on top. Pour a bit of Kahlua over the top for the adults.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
Take Summer Food Inside
11 DIY projects to make when it's too hot to go outside.
Cool Eats for Hot Days
A Carry-On Cocktail Kit
Anna Jones Loves Vegetables
The Daily Grind
Italian Breakfast Buns