Author Notes: When I posted a recipe for an alcoholic coffee cocktail on my blog, it was surprising to see the number of requests for a non alcoholic version. I'll admit, I underestimated the power of a caffeine buzz that makes this mocktail so enjoyable. - Panfusine
Makes 2 servings
ginger infused syrup
- 1 cup freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
creamy coffee mocktail
- 2 shots freshly brewed espresso coffee
- 3-4 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh ginger extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk plus extra for frothing
- brown sugar for rimming the glass
- To make the ginger syrup, combine the sugar & water over medium heat till the sugar dissolves, add the grated ginger & cook till the mixture reduces & is syrupy in consistency. Strain the grated ginger & store the syrup in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. The syrup may be used for other beverages such as ginger flavored lemonades. or simply drizzled over a lemon or mango sorbet.
- To make ginger extract, finely grate a 2 -3 inch piece of ginger & squeeze out the juice. allow to stand for 5 minutes before decanting. Discard the white residue at the bottom.
- In a pyrex mixing cup (or any other suitable container for mixing) , combine the espresso coffee, ginger root extract and the ginger syrup. stir well. Add the milk as per your preference & chill till really cold.
- Heat the remaining milk for 30 s in the microwave & whip well using an aerolater (a fancy name for those battery operated milk whips that retail for $ 1.99 @ Ikea)
- Decant into a mini martini glass. Spoon froth over the coffee, Garnish with chocolate shavings or a piece of dark chocolate if desired, & serve.