Author Notes: With the theme this week I wanted to experiment with something simple. A lassi variation seemed perfect. So I first decided to make ice cubes from coffee. Then for a little added texture I used instant espresso coffee in the lassi as well. Variations in spices are really easy to suggest, if you have different preferences. - Sagegreen
Coffee ice cubes
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- mixed spices, optional @1 tsp.
- Make two cups of brewed very strong coffee or espresso. The way I prefer to brew my coffee is to heat filtered water to 190-200 degrees. In a filter cone place the freshly ground coffee beans. Add optional spices such as fennel, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger at this point, too. Pour in a tease of the hot water (about 1/4 the amount) to wake up the ground beans; let that small amount of water slowly filter through. Then pour in the remaining water to complete the brew. I have used Jamaican blue coffee beans.
- Let two cups of brewed espresso or strong coffee cool. Then pour into an ice cube tray and freeze for at least 5 hours. You will have 14 cubes for use. Great for iced coffee, too.
- 1 cup thick Greek plain yogurt, fage
- 1 tablespoon instant Espresso (Medaglia D' Oro) powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon zested fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds or cardamom (I use an old coffee bean grinder)
- 1/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoon honey, such as acacia or tupelo, to taste
- 1 small fresh banana
- 2 coffee ice cubes, crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and process. Chill, if desired.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of orange zest,cardamom, cinnamon, cocoa or other spice as desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee