Author Notes: One of the few indulgences that my husband I would have was a carton of Starbucks mocha chip ice cream. But then my husband entered grad school and there were little if any indulgences with our salaries. So I improvised and created my own mocha ice cream for a few less dollars. And we've never purchased a Starbucks carton since. - The Constant Gardener
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup 1/2 and 1/2
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 Tablesoon
- 2 tablespoons Ground espresso or dark coffee grounds
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1-4 ounce Dark Chocolate bar (Ghirardelli or better)
- Place cream, 1/2 and 1/2, milk and egg yolks in saucepan on medium low.
- Measure sugar, espresso, baking powder and pour in saucepan with milk. Whisk continually until all of sugar has dissolved and eggs are well incorporated.
- Once milk mixture is done, add vanilla and remove from heat. Place in ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions.
- While ice cream is being made, chop dark chocolate into bite size pieces. When ice cream is almost complete add chocolate to ice cream mix. Mix chocolate in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee