Author Notes: About 10 years ago, I wanted to make my own BBQ sauce. I found a simple recipe with 5 ingredients, in an old magazine and since then, it has evolved into the following.
NOTE: * I also use dark soda, like a high end micro-brewed root beer (regular dark soda will work as well, like cola); any type of beer will; the darker the better. - MariGarrett
Makes about 3 cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups Kona Brewing Company’s Kona Coffee Pipeline Porter*
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tangerine juice
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar (can be light or golden brown as well)
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (equals: 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 teaspoons sriracha or other hot sauce or to taste (can also use a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce or just the adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed/mashed (1 Tbsp jarred crushed garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder also works)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low (temperature of stove may vary) and simmer, stirring frequently.
- Cook until sauce is reduced to about 3 cups and the consistency of barbeque sauce; in an airtight container, sauce can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee