If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After a move to Santa Fe several years ago I decided to forego my traditional Holiday meal and use more New Mexican ingredients. My sons were never terribly fond of my turkey stuffing so I came up with this version. They now threaten fisticuffs over it! —susanb726
Serves 8+ or minus. it depends on how hungry everyone is.
- 2 batches of your favorite cornbread
- 6 New Mexico (also called Anaheim) Green Chiles
- 3/4 cup raw pine nuts
- 1 Stick butter
- 1 Large yellow onion, diced.
- 4 Large celery stalks, diced.
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds - optional
- 1 teaspoon dried, ground chipotle or to your "heat" preference
- 1 pound bulk chicken or turkey chorizo
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 2 beaten eggs
- One or two days before - make a double batch of cornbread. Once cool, cut into cubes and allow to dry out.
- Roast chiles over gas flame, turning frequently, until charred. Place warm chiles in plastic bag. This allows the skins to loosen from the steam. Peel skins from chiles then chop.
- Turning frequently, toast pine nuts to golden brown over medium heat in shallow pan. Make sure you keep a close eye on the nuts as they can burn in an instant. Set aside.
- Remove sausage from casings if you cannot find it in bulk. Brown chorizo and crumble. Drain excess grease and allow to cool. Put in large mixing bowl with cornbread.
- Melt butter in large saute pan. Add diced onion, celery & ground chipotle. Saute until soft. Add to cornbread and chorizo. Mix in chopped chiles, pine nuts & pomegranate seeds. Add in chicken stock until moist but not soggy. The amount depends on how dry the cornbread is. Add in beaten eggs. Combine all ingredients until everything is well mixed. Season with salt & pepper if desired.
- Place stuffing into buttered baking dish. Cover and bake alongside your turkey for 40 minutes. Uncover & bake 15 to 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.