If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my friends is an author and in his fantasy series, The Auralia Thread, one of the characters eats something called Nectarbread. I knew I had to taste it, but the only way to taste it was to invent it. So I created this recipe and took him and his wife a loaf. (It's specifically designed to be safe for his wife's food allergies.) They were thrilled! The descriptions of food increase markedly over the course of the series. My friend claims he wanted to see what other goodies would show up on his doorstep if he wrote about them. This is my favorite.
Quick bread may not seem very original, but truly delicious gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free quick bread is rare. For some, it's a fantasy. But I love to bring food fantasies to life. - beyondcelery
Makes 1 9-inch loaf
- 1 1/4 cups white or brown rice flour
- 1 1/4 cups sweet rice (mochi) flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (dairy free, real, or coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey (blackberry is best)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and sweet rice flour loaf pan.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, sugar, and spices. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mix together oil and melted butter, then beat in lemon juice, eggs, vanilla, and honey until smooth. Stir honey mixture into dry ingredients, mixing quickly until all dry pockets are incorporated. Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Drizzle about ½ Tbls honey over batter and sprinkle with about ¼ tsp nutmeg. Bake 45-50 minutes, covering with foil at around 20 minutes so top does not become overly dark. Bread is done when toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Turn hot loaf out of pan after cooling about 5 minutes. Drizzle over with more honey while bread is very hot, so honey will seep in and add to the topping. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
This is poppin'.