If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There is more than just cous cous in these babies. It is a satisfying meal all on it's own or with a salad. I wanted something that was homey but more figure friendly than the stuffed peppers my mom made. People don't miss the ground beef and green peppers of my youth, even my father. I used low sodium chicken broth, if you use regular broth adjust salt accordingly. —mcms1974
Serves 4 main courses or 8 sides
- 8 medium red, yellow or orange peppers
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cous cous
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound gound turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 medium summer squash, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 3 tablespoons grated romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut off tops of peppers, remove seeds and stem. Stand peppers up in oven proof baking dish, replace 'hats' and roast for 20 minutes.
- While peppers are roasting prepare filling. Bring 1 1/4 cups broth to boil add cous cous, turn off heat, and cover with lid.
- Heat a large skillet over medium/ high heat. Add the olive oil. Brown the turkey. Add the onion, zucchini, summer squash, fennel seeds,salt, pepper and oregano. Cook of 5 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened. Add the tomato paste, stirring to combine.
- Fluff cous cous and then add to veggie mixture. Fold in the tomatoes, cheeses and parsley. If the mixture looks a little dry add the extra 1/4 cup broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove peppers from the oven. Fill with the stuffing, gently pressing down, replace pepper tops. Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes. I always have extra stuffing and bake it in a little oven proof dish. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.