Author Notes: I needed a dessert that would be festive but would also stretch the small amount of strawberries that I had available. This one fit the bill, it combines sweet with creamy and just enough tangy in the strawberries to balance it well.It has become a Mother's Day tradition at our house. - barbst
Serves 8 - 10
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- Layer pastry sheets with melted butter and sugar (approximately 1 tsp sugar per sheet). Butter but do not sugar top sheets. Cut sheets crosswise into four strips. Bake tow at a time on a cookie sheet covered with parchment at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until browned lightly. Cool pastry on a wire rack Whip cream with 2 Tbl powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Assemble by piping (or spreading) whipped cream on the first three layers. (Using a star tip to pipe the whipped cream makes the dessert more festive looking.) Place the fourth layer on top. Place strawberries on top in an attractive arrangement (diagonal works well) and glaze with melted currant jelly.
- Refrigerate a few hours before serving. Serve extra macerated strawberries on the side if desired. Will not hold well over 8 hours.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For