Author Notes: This recipe is utterly simple. I have other blueberry muffin recipes, but this one, cut from a newspaper decades ago, is the one I turn to most. Although it calls for wild blueberries, cultivated ones may be substituted. It is also delicious with raspberries. The muffins don't really taste of banana, but the banana keeps them moist. Unlike most muffins, they taste good the next day, too---and even the day after that. - mainecook61
Makes 10 muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- 2/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup wild blueberries
- Demerara or other coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400. Butter a regular muffin tin. Combine both flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl.
- In small bowl, combine egg, mashed banana, milk, and oil.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture, mixing gently until just combined. Do not overmix. Stir in blueberries.
- Fill muffin tin almost to the top. I usually get ten. Bake 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For